Thursday, May 23, 2013

EuroVision and Sunshine


Above is Norway's entry for the 2013 Eurovision Song Contest held last Saturday.

(If you're asking yourself "What is Eurovision?" Here is a long answer, but, in short, it's a competition where many of the countries on the continent + a few, neighboring countries perform songs, one per country, and the citizens of all of Europe vote for the winner)

Even if this is confusing to you, there's only one thing you need to know.  Norway finished fourth.  They should have won.

Listen to the song.  It's epic (I think it sounds like a Bond song!).  It's moving (she's feeding you her love!).  It's well performed (even if this isn't the actual contest performance, it pretty much is identical).  Yet, it languished in a distant fourth place to the eventual winner (Denmark, whose song is aptly described as "Rihanna in Westeros"), Azerbaijan, and Ukraine.

Yes, in a European-wide song contest, they finished behind a country that's not in Europe.

At least they didn't finish behind this behemoth from Romania.


And that's all I can muster about Eurovision...  If you want a better, thought out summary, please refer to this blog.

OTHER, WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS:

- As I stare at the third, straight day of chilly weather and rain, I just keep thinking about the days preceding those.  They were three, magical days of uninterrupted, 70+ F (22+ C) weather and it was amazing.  You'll be in my heart forever...

- My birthday is in two weeks and it was just announced that, on June 19th, Immortal Technique will be performing in Oslo... Take those two facts for what you will

- I, seriously, just listened to the entirety of the Tarzan song just now.  Wow.  It's not even my top-five, favorite, Disney song.  Here's the order of my list that it's in: 1) "A Whole New World" (Aladdin); 2) "Colors of the Wind" (Pocahontas); 3) "Circle of Life" (Lion King); 4) The Beauty and the Beast song... Tale as old as time?; 5) "Kiss the Girl" (The Little Mermaid)

uhmm... yeah,

ALT FOR NORGE



Like me on Facebook: facebook.com/OSLOST

Follow me on Twitter: @BoomerOSLO

No comments:

Post a Comment