Thursday, September 26, 2013

It's Not Summer WIthout You

1 degree (Celsius... 34 Fahrenheit)

That was the temperature when I woke up this morning.

Almost in disbelief, I went outside in jeans and my summer coat (that's a funny thing, before I came to Norway.  I had three coats.  One I wore in fall, one I wore when it was winter, and another I wore in both months when I was wearing something sorta fancy... Now, I have eight coats) and was quickly re-buffed.

It was, indeed, cold outside.

(I realize "cold" is relative, but, when you're anticipating low-teens Celsius/mid-50s Fahrenheit, getting smacked in the mouth with something quite lower than that registers as cold)

Autumn is leaving its mellowness behind for its spiky, rotted stage.  Don't remember summer even saying goodbye.

Fortunately for me, I had (at the behest of the lady) swapped out my summer clothes.

The week prior, I had carried up the winter clothes, in their dormant boxes tucked away in the back of the unit in the basement, to the apartment.  Then, solemnly, I folded and sorted which summery things I still dreamed of wearing between now and when the sun's warmth returned from those which I could go without (this seasonal change is the saddest I feel for inanimate objects... Sorry, threadless.com t-shirt. I just don't have space for you.  I don't like you any less... It just won't be that warm and... you'll understand when you're older?).  The unchosen were placed in the spot formerly reserved for the winter clothes, which, in turn, replaced the summery clothes spots in my drawers and closet, and then, I returned the boxes to their sub-terrain storage.

So, I'm not cold today.  Bring it on fall/winter.

ALT FOR NORGE


Like me on Facebook: facebook.com/OSLOST

Follow me on Twitter: @BoomerOSLO




No comments:

Post a Comment